Thursday, June 27, 2013

Kombucha

I like to do the continuous brew method.  My brewing vessel is a 3.8 gallon glass beverage dispenser with plastic spigot.  I clean out this container about once a year.

When you're not yet ready to start brewing, just leave starter culture in a glass container at room temperature, making sure that the SCOBY doesn't dry out.  When there is too little liquid, add enough water or sweet tea so that SCOBY stays submerged.  You potentially can leave it for years like this.  I've heard of someone who kept it in a basement for 15 years and was able to revive it.  When the culture goes dormant for a long period of time (months, years), the yeast will need some time to wake up.  Meaning the first few batches will be flat, not fizzy.

These instructions are for a 1 gallon container.  You'll need:

  • SCOBY with 2 cups of liquid starter culture (about 20% of total)
  • 3 quarts of filtered water
  • 3/4 cup sugar (never use honey)
  • 1/4 cup of loose tea or 5-7 tea bags (use white, green, black tea or any combination)

 Instructions:
  1. Put SCOBY and starter liquid in brewing container.
  2. Heat up 2 cups of water and steep the tea for 10-15 mins.
  3. Strain off the tea.
  4. Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
  5. Add remainder of water to make 3 quarts of sweetened tea.
  6. Make sure tea is cooled to room temperature before pouring into the brewing container.
  7. Cover with cut-up old tee shirt and secure with a rubber band.
  8. Allow anywhere between 3 days to 2 weeks to ferment.
  9. Taste periodically until desired sourness is obtained.  Pour Kombucha into bottles with tight fitting lid.  Leave at least 20% liquid in the brewing container to make the next batch.
  10.  Let bottles sit at room temperature for a second fermentation.  I like to leave it for at least 2 weeks.  I've left it for as long as 14 months and several bottles turned to vinegar, but the rest were absolutely fantastic!


I got my bottles and lids from a company in Cerritos. These things costs a lot to ship, so it's nice to be able to pick it up locally.

This Kombucha Balancing Act article is very useful for trouble-shooting problems.  I referred to it often when I first got started.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the instructions. I feel much more confident now than I did before. Thanks and I'll let you know how my first batch turns out.

    -Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you are amazing and I'm so glad that I know you now. :)

    ReplyDelete