Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lacto Fermentation


I love wide mouth mason jars. They have so many different uses. Here you see them used in lacto-fermention.


The green beans were crunchy. I used 1 tsp black tea and some bay leaves.
The pickles are not mushy, but still could use more crunch.  I added a pinch of black tea and some bay leaves.

The sauerkraut turned out fabulously crunchy!  It was so good, I ate half the jar.  I think what made it so good was the cooler temps last week.  When I made kimchi during a heat wave, it was mushy in texture.
I've discovered a few tricks of the trade:

  • Keep the temperature in the 60-75 range.  Veggies get mushy in hotter temps. 
  • Remove all oxygen. 
  • Weigh down to keep veggies submerged under brine. 
  • Loosen lid once or twice daily to release pressure. 

I use a Jar Sealer along with my Food Saver to create an oxygen-free environment.  This step is not necessary if you don't mind some kahm yeast once in a while.  It's harmless and should be scrapped off as soon as possible to prevent change in taste.

To make crispy pickles, add any of the following:
  • Grape leaves
  • Oak leaves
  • 4 bay leaves, fresh or dry
  • 1 Tbsp cloves
  • 1 Tbsp black tea


I found these glass candle holders at Target that fits perfectly inside a wide mouth mason jar.  They kept everything submerged under the brine.  It's a steal for 99 cents!


Lacto-Fermented Salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment